Repairing Old Photographs
Paul N Daniels, Heritage Genealogical College
There are some very good software programs for repairing damaged photographs. Some are
quite expensive. The worth of getting one of these programs depends upon your interest.
Some of these programs are: Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Things that can be done to
damaged photographs include:
1. Eliminating tears or rips
2. Restoring faded areas
3. Restoring and changing color(s)
4. Adding color to black and white photographs
5. Adding people that were absent when the photograph was taken
6. Eliminating people (non-relatives, etc.) from the picture
7. Separating a person from a group photograph and adding necessary legs or arms
so that that person can be shown alone.
8. Eliminating pimples, birthmarks, gray hair, wrinkles, warts, moles, etc.
Some inexpensive books that are helpful to the beginner are:
- Make Your Photos Zing! By Tom Underhill. Published by Creative Continuum, Inc.,
202 Viking Avenue, Brea, CA 92821 (714) 674-0023 or www.creativecontinuum.com
- Make Your Photos Really Zing! By Tom Underhill. Published by Creative Continuum, Inc.,
new address is 1045 N. Armando St., Ste. G, Anaheim, CA 92806. Phone number is now 866-799-2738.
Tom Underhill, Publisher
Creative Continuum, Inc.